Sunday 25 March 2012

1st Blog Post Response


First Blog Post
Henry the fourth part 1 is one of William Shakespeare's less common plays.   After “googling” (yes googling is now recognized as a verb see http://goo.gl/LSWXI)  the plays name, I have found several different resources which will hopefully understand a shakespeare play for once in my life.  Unlike Hamlet, which parallels The Lion King,  Henry The Fourth Part 1 does not have a movie modeled after the play.  Doing one of the less known plays is going to provide me with a challenge.  Information and shortcuts won’t be available for this play unlike some other Shakespeare plays.  This will prepare me more for what researching is going to be like in university.
Although I’d prefer to be learning about the same play as the rest of the class, there are some positive’s that come from doing a play independently.  If our class was doing the same play I could ask classmates for some information which potentially could be false.  By doing a play by myself I will have to research all the information myself and if a mistake is made than it would be no ones fault but my own.   Doing this independently might help me in the future such as, if  I was asked to pick an uncommon shakespeare play in university, I would already have studied Henry the fourth part 1 before.  
Researching Henry the fourth part one is going to be much more difficult than researching one of the more common plays such as Hamlet or Romeo and Juliette.  Resources such as spark notes will have much more information and script analysis on the more common plays because... well they’re more common.  They get assigned to everyone in high school.  Between songs I decided to do a quick search on youtube for Henry the fourth part 1.  To my pleasant surprise I discovered that several groups have their performance on the play on youtube.     Unfortunately however I couldn’t locate any analysis or 60 second summaries such as this one for hamlet.

Overall after reading the summary from spark notes, I’m happy that Henry the fourth part 1 seems at lease half entertaining.  Throughout high school I’ve always hated class whenever the Shakespeare unit came around, and I couldn’t understand anything.  This particular class is different because alternatives learning methods are allowed and encouraged.  Thanks Mr. Chesser your the man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment